Tuesday, February 28, 2012

La Jolla 50K 2012

Well I finally got the first of my races for 2012 out of the way. A tough and challenging course at Point Mugu in the Santa Monica Mountains. Lots of climbing. The course was basically five climbs. Climb number one came during the first 7.7 mile loop which I was on pace and came back around in 1:15. Climbs two and three were during an 11 mile loop and again I was on pace completing the loop in 2 hrs with my total time check at 3:18 at mile 19ish. Then we went back and did loop one again and this time I was hurting, just not feeling well period. This go around took me longer and I came back at 5:18 total time (I wanted to be here at 4:30), I was 45min off!!! Then I had one more climb, which took me 45 minutes, then a down hill (2 1/2 miles worth) to the finish line. (photo above you can see coastline, beautiful views all day)
Photos of the trail at the La Jolla 50K

So back to the race. I came across the finish line in 6 hours and 29 minutes. Good enough for a top 10 finish (I finished 9th overall) and about 1 hour 15 min back from the overall winner. I like to stay within 1 hour of the winner but the heat and climbs took its toil on me this day. Overall, an awesome day out on the trails.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Top 10 is always good. Hey..you went out like you wanted and did finish without feet problems! Yay for that!